Saturday, February 9, 2013

Workshop in Berlin!



Photo by: Eli Dagostino – Workshop Student April 2012




After a year and half of taking a break from doing workshops, I decided to hold one in Los Angeles this past April. It was so successful and so much fun, that I have decided to do two more this year. The group of people that attended last month’s Fashion Photography Workshop were incredible! Not only did they come thirsty and eager to learn, they joined forces with one another and really helped each other out to make it a thoroughly enjoyable working experience. I can’t say enough good things about that group of students! It warmed my heart to such an extent that I’ve decided, “what the heck, let’s do another one in Berlin!”




Photo by: Katy Winterflood – Workshop Student April 2012




So moving forward to Berlin, Germany, the next workshop will be held on June 16th and 17th. I know that I have a lot of blog readers in Europe who just can't make the trip to the States for the weekend long workshops. And my good friend, and someone that I also mentor, Yoram Roth, has been kind enough to offer me his studio in Berlin which is also a BOXeight Studio just like the one we worked out of in Los Angeles last month. BOXeight was a beautiful space and the people behind BOXeight are amazing!








The format is going to be relatively the same with a few small changes. Saturday will stay absolutely the same. From 10 AM until 6 PM we will learn studio lighting. We will work with professional models, hair and make up artists and a killer wardrobe stylist. We'll go through the different basic lighting set ups and then we'll get creative with those set ups and learn how to play with lighting and break some rules! I'll show you what modifiers I use to get the results I get and we'll experiment with whatever you want to learn. It's a fun and creative day and many students walk away with some portfolio pieces. At the very least, you'll learn about lighting! Which is key to understanding and accomplishing photography!




Photo by: Dante Bell – Workshop Student April 2012


Sunday is where we are going to change it up a bit. Since I don't do my own retouching, I am going to forego the retouching segment of the workshop. Unfortunately I don't have the mad skills of Tyler Mitchell or David Skyler at my side when I will be in Berlin. So if the retouching segment was the only part of my workshops that interested you in attending, this workshop isn't going to be the right fit for you. Instead of retouching in the morning on the second day (Sunday), we will go heavy with the business side of fashion photography. There will be a portfolio review in the morning where I will go through everyone's work and critique your portfolios. I will tell you where your strong suits are and where your weaknesses are. It will be an open critique, where all students will be involved and learn from each other's work. After we've gone through everyone's work, we will break for lunch and then reconvene to learn about the business side of fashion photography and how you can market your photography business. The same things I have taught in the past will be taught on this day: marketing and promoting, estimating and budgeting a job, approaching modeling agencies and advertising agencies and magazines.




Photo by: Eli Dagostino – Workshop Student April 2012



You'll need to bring a good DSLR camera, at least a 50mm and 85mm lens and any other gear you want to use. Plus for Sunday, bring a notebook and be prepared to take a lot of notes!


So for those of you who live in Europe or anywhere else in the world and want to attend my Berlin workshop in June, go to this link for the details!


Berlin has become one of the most interesting places in Europe to visit. With its fast growing artistic community and incredible night life, I am SO excited to be visiting Berlin. I also plan to do some shooting while I'm there! Europe 2012 is going to be a blast! Hope to see some of you there! xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment